Vital Earth's raw humic source undergoes California Prop 65 testing. This testing reveals the heavy metal content of our Humic/Fulvic is virtually non-existent and is defined as non-toxic according to the Proposition's standards. (If you're not exactly sure what CA Proposition 65 is, Here's a good information page)
Vegetal bio-mass minerals
Fulvic / Humic is scientifically classified as "Vegetal bio-mass minerals" and does not contain heavy metals. Since every single mineral within fulvic/humic comes from plants, the body readily recognizes them and immediately assimilates them; the same as it would assimilate the various minerals found in broccoli, lettuce, or fruit for example.
Being organic, they are fully utilized by the body, not rejected and therefore stored in fatty tissue as a toxin the way an elemental metallic mineral would. You never hear about people getting mineral toxicity from fruits and vegetables, even though they all contain a wide variety of minerals that are erroneously thought to be dangerous.
All our minerals are also OMRI certified (meaning it is cleared for use on organic farms). To receive OMRI certification, the source must undergo heavy metal testing. Our humic source is also certified "free of heavy metals" in Canada (they have much stricter testing standards). Our lab is cGMP certified and undergoes routine FDA inspections.
Why the "form" of a mineral is so important
All minerals come in two forms, organic and inorganic
Fulvic / Humic is NOT a heavy metal
There is a drastic difference in metallic, inorganic minerals versus plant-based ionic, organic minerals. Understanding the difference in mineral "forms" is one of the most difficult things to explain because people have been so conditioned to believe that certain minerals are bad, no matter what the circumstance. Many newsletters and reports do not distinguish between the "form" of the mineral. Minerals in the wrong form are highly toxic, and minerals in an organic form are highly beneficial.
Your body can only absorb up to 10% of the wrong form (inorganic) minerals. The remaining 90% become an unusable substance that is rejected and left to build up, to potentially toxic levels, in your organs and soft tissue.
The problem with exposure to the "bad" forms of minerals (metallic elemental minerals) is that the body doesn't recognize them as food. When this happens, normal assimilation cannot happen. The body then rejects and stores this "mystery" substance in the tissues and organs, where it builds up and becomes toxic to the system.
Exposure to toxic elemental minerals is possible from a variety of unsuspecting sources; contaminated ground water, pollution, industrial activity, paint, etc. It is not uncommon to have whole communities of people with abnormally high mercury levels when there is a coal powered electric plant in their town, for example.
Organic minerals trigger essential biological reactions
Organic minerals set in motion a variety of chemical reactions which allow vitamins and other essential nutrients to fuel our bodies. Without the proper form of mineral, these reactions are unable to take place, making it unlikely your body will absorb and use the vitamins it needs.
Minerals we erroneously think of as highly toxic, such as lead, aluminum, or arsenic are actually very beneficial and necessary when they are consumed in their organic form. They serve to facilitate many bio-reactions that are only possible when they are present. Every single organic, plant derived mineral serves some sort of beneficial purpose. That's why a balance of ALL the minerals as they are presented in nature is very beneficial to the body. Organic minerals enable chemical reactions in the body, and trigger many beneficial processes. So, you can see that whether or not a mineral is toxic is totally dependent on the form it is in.