Beware! Xylitol is Toxic to Dogs

Caution Dog Owners!

Don't give your dog products that contain xylitol

If you're giving your dog any supplements meant for humans, that could possibly contain xylitol, such as liquid glucosamine, check the supplement facts label immediately.

New test shows that xylitol is toxic to dogs

Although the natural sweetener xylitol has many health benefits for humans, new research indicates that xylitol can be toxic to dogs. Even small amounts (.03 oz.) can be lethal to some dogs – causing liver failure.

We know that many people are giving glucosamine products to their pets, so please be sure to check the supplement facts panel on the product's label to see if it contains xylitol. Just as you should never give chocolate to your dog, you should also never give your dog any supplements containing xylitol.

Why is Xylitol harmful to dogs and not humans?

In humans, Xylitol is not digested in the stomach like regular sugars. It is processed in the intestines and therefore bypasses entering the blood stream. Because Xylitol is not entering the blood stream, it does not raise blood sugar levels like regular sugar does and therefore does not trigger the production of insulin, (which serves to regulate and lower hight blood sugar levels).

But dogs metabolizes xylitol much differently. It immediately enters their blood stream, creating massive spikes in the dog's insulin levels. Since there is no actual sugar for the insulin to react with, the unusually large amount of insulin that was released creates a staggering drop in blood sugar. Severe hypoglycemia sets in, sometimes within as little as 30 minutes, with symptoms such as unconsciousness and seizures. Liver failure and internal bleeding can often result.

Vital Joint Support is currently the only Vital Earth product that contains xylitol.  Please don't give Vital Joint Support to your dog.

What about aspartame?

Although we aren't aware of any studies showing the effects of artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, on dogs, we would not recommend them for your pets. Common sense would tell you that anything that harmful to humans can't be good for your dog either!